Information for International Students
Welcome to UGA! Here you will find everything you need to know about health and wellness at UGA.
Healthcare in the US might seem very different from what you are accustomed to. Buying insurance, making appointments, and choosing a primary care provider are a few things you will need to consider.
Don’t feel like you are alone. We are here to help you navigate accessing health and wellness care for the first time in the US at UGA.
Before you get started with making appointments at the UGA Health Center, you may be interested in learning a little more about “Healthcare in America” by watching the following video:
"Healthcare in America" with Dr. Jean Chin:
Our goal is to help you stay healthy and feeling your best so you can participate fully in the UGA experience.
The UGA Health Center is your one-stop-shop for integrated medical, wellness, and specialty services.
To start, every student is assigned a primary care provider (PCP) home. At UGA we have arranged the four PCP homes by colors: Red, Gold, Blue, and Green.
We are a fully integrated model, which means we treat and recommend services that are unique to each patient’s needs, whether that is treating illness, providing wellness resources, counseling, health coaching, and much more. Your PCP is your first stop.
Additionally, we provide mental wellness and specialty care, including health coaching, nutrition, group counseling, dental, vision, physical therapy, sports medicine, and a full-range of wellness needs!
Be sure to call on us when you need support!
Very important things to know about accessing care in the US and the UGA Health Center:
- There is no universal healthcare. The US government does not provide health benefits to citizens or visitors. Any time you get medical care, someone has to pay for it.
- Healthcare is very expensive in the US. Most people in the US have health insurance. Health insurance protects you from owing a lot of money to doctors or hospitals if you get sick or hurt. Health insurance can also help you pay for regular check-ups, laboratory tests, vaccines, and prescription medication.
- All UGA-enrolled, International students have access to the UGA student health insurance plan. Check out our “options to pay” at the health center for more information.
- Every student pays the “Health Fee” which affords each student access to a Primary Care Provider with no out-of-pocket costs for the appointment with the clinician. Any other services, such as labs, prescriptions, testing, etc., provided during that appointment will be filed to your student insurance.
- Primary Care Provider (PCP): Every student is assigned a primary care provider home (Red, Gold, Blue, and Green). We are a fully integrated model which means we treat and recommend services that are unique to each patient’s needs, whether that is treating illness, providing wellness resources, counseling, health coaching, and much more.
- Make an appointment through the UHC Patient Portal
Important information before you settle in at UGA:
Every newly admitted student must complete certain forms and have received certain immunizations
For current and new students: requesting and transferring health information, medical authorizations, and immunization records
As part of our comprehensive health and safety program, it is a UGA requirement that all incoming students complete AlcoholEdu + Sexual Assault Prevention for Undergraduates + Mental Well-Being for Students.
#BeWellUGA is the place to find all the FREE wellness and prevention programs hosted by the University Health Center. Check out all the amazing classes and services geared towards helping UGA students thrive physically, mentally, and socially.
Health Fee information, insurance FAQs, student health insurance
Information for emergencies and after hour care
Make an appointment online, pay bills, chat with a clinician
Confidentiality, privacy, & patients’ rights and responsibilities