Letter to Parents of First Year Students
The University Health Center is excited to be your son or daughter’s partner in health and wellness this year and throughout their time at UGA. While we are navigating uncertainty and trying to establish a routine for campus, we understand the pressures and concerns of our students and families. Please know we are open and here for you. We will continue to serve as a health and wellness advocate, a safe space, and a central resource regarding physical, mental health, and wellness.
While we may not be able to dictate the outcome of this pandemic, we can provide quality care and support to help your student thrive at UGA and beyond. Below I have outlined some very important information regarding their access to care at UHC.
Every student is assigned a Primary Care home. Here are some ways their PCP may assist:
- Clinic visits for illness or injury – including testing for students that are experiencing COVID symptoms – Verify symptoms daily with DawgCheck
- Management of chronic illnesses
- Annual flu shots and other routine immunizations
- Coordination of your health care with other doctors
- Referral to other specialists for specific health needs- including our in-house Lab/Radiology
- Wellness checkups and physicals for classes or programs
- Questions and in-clinic support regarding your general health, sexual health, health goals, stress and mental wellness
The following wellness and specialty services offered at UHC may be accessed directly. Additional information can be found online at www.uhs.uga.edu.
- FREE Prevention and wellness workshops and services at #BeWellUGA
- Health Promotion – Wellness Coaching (free) and many wellness programs, including Nutrition Kitchen cooking classes, the Fontaine Center for alcohol education, support and recovery, and the Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention (RSVP) program and 24-hour hotline (706-542-SAFE)
- Allergy / Travel Clinic – Routine allergy shots; international travel planning and vaccinations; routine and specialty immunizations including HPV and meningitis
- Dental Clinic – Full-service general dentistry in a comfortable and safe atmosphere
- Vision Clinic – Eye exams, eyeglasses, sunglasses and contact lenses (with online ordering)
- Physical Therapy & Massage – Individualized care and treatment for injuries and chronic conditions, including post-operative rehabilitation
- Pharmacy – Convenient full-service pharmacy
- Gynecology Clinic – Gynecological care including wellness exams, contraception, and problem-specific appointments for men and women
- Counseling & Psychiatric Services (CAPS) – Short-term individual and group counseling; medication monitoring and 24-hour distress line (706-542-2200)
- Online is the best way through the UHC Patient Portal as it is available 24 hours a day OR access it through the UGA Mobile App!
- If you do not see a convenient appointment time, please call 706-542-1162 so that we may assist you.
- Confirm all Required forms (Immunization records, medical history and insurance) are uploaded.
- Please bring your UGA ID card and current medical & pharmacy insurance information to each visit. And, if you have a moment upload this information into the UHC Patient Portal.
- Arrive 10 minutes early to complete registration and sign-in.
- Telehealth visits may be scheduled for some services and medical problems. Please call the clinic to inquire.
IMPORTANT in-person appointment information:
Please know we are following CDC guidelines regarding COVID prevention.
- While in the Health Center, you are required to wear a mask and will need to socially distance a minimum of 6 feet whenever possible.
- Our waiting room capacities have been reduced to accommodate spacing requirements. Please utilize only the available chairs in the waiting room or in the overflow areas located in the hallway just outside the waiting area.
- To help protect other patients and our staff by reducing traffic in the Health Center, we ask that visitors who accompany the student to their appointment remain outside the Health Center.
IMPORTANT: If you have been exposed or showing symptoms of COVID-19, please call your UHC Primary care provider. Taking care of you and your community are of the utmost importance to us. Additionally, you can make an appointment with the surveillance testing site.
This time of transition is exciting, and during our current circumstances, unsettling. I assure you that the University Health Center staff is prepared to serve as your son or daughter’s health and wellness home away from home.
If you have any concerns or questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. Best wishes for an outstanding year.
We look forward to meeting your student!
University Health Center
University of Georgia